DENMARK: Nordjyske Jernbaner has taken delivery of 13 Alstom Coradia Lint diesel multiple-units which are expected to enter service this autumn to support an expansion of services. The locally-owned railway company operates the 18 km Hjørring – Hirtshals and 40 km Frederikshavn – Skagen lines in northern Jylland, and is scheduled to take over the operation of stopping services on the Frederikshavn – Hjørring – Aalborg – Skørping route from August 6.The two-car DMUs ordered at cost of €45m in June 2015 have 125 seats and space for up to 135 standing passengers, with wi-fi, air conditioning, passenger information systems and CCTV. The Stage IIIB-compliant MTU PowerPacks give a maximum operating speed of 140 km/h.’Nordjyske Jernbaner is significantly increasing its operations and we are pleased to have received Alstom’s 13 Coradia Lints on time’, said the railway’s CEO Peter Hvilshøj, adding that it had selected the Coradia Lint for its reliability and suitability for the local operating conditions.
TURKEY: The European Bank for Reconstruction & Development is to provide Izmir Metropolitan Municipality with a loan to finance the €754·5m construction of civil works for the planned Üçyol – Buca driverless metro line serving the southeast of the city.Approved by the municipality in 2018, the line would run for 13·5 km, serving 11 underground stations. Interchange will be provided with the city’s existing metro line at Üçyol and with Izban suburban services at Şirinyer.There would also be a 6 km link between the main line and the depot and workshop site.
PORT AU PRINCE, Haiti, CMC –Opposition political parties in Haiti have rejected a call by the United States for all political stakeholders to put aside their differences and work towards “a peaceful and democratic solution” to the ongoing political and economic situation in the country where President Jovenel Moise is under increasing pressure to resign.A spokesman for the opposition parties, André Michel, said the US Embassy and the rest of the international community must not continue to support Moise.“The opposition has already launched seven days of national mobilization from Sunday 27 October to Saturday 2 November 2019 to force President Jovenel Moïse to step down.“We are maintaining our schedule and (note) that the country will be totally closed during this period of intensive mobilization. We call on the international community to join the Haitian people in their fight for the satisfaction of their legitimate demands,” Michel said.In a statement posted on the US Embassy website earlier this week, Washington said that it “continues to urge all of Haiti’s political, economic, and civil society stakeholders to enter without delay or preconditions, an inclusive dialogue to identify and pursue a path to form a functioning government that will serve the Haitian people and address the country’s pressing economic and social concerns”.The political and economic crisis in Haiti was triggered by the publication in January 2019 of a report on the Venezuela-funded PetroCaribe Oil initiative, under which Caracas provided oil and other petroleum products to Haiti under a preferential agreement.Moise, who came to power in 2017, has denied any wrongdoing and has named former prime minister Evans Paul to head a team that would hold discussions with all stakeholders to discuss a way forward.Speaking on a radio programme here earlier this week, Moise reiterated the call for a national dialogue insisting “I am not attached to a mandate.“I am hooked on reforms. I want to talk about constitutional reform, for example. I want to talk about the reform of the energy sector, the digitization of the public administration. Today, we are in an acute crisis, but we can take advantage of this crisis to make this crisis an opportunity. We need stability in the country and to find that stability, we have to attack the system,” Moise told radio listeners.In its statement, Washington said that Haiti’s leaders need to work together “toward a peaceful and democratic solution now, with an increased sense of urgency.“The Haitian people are suffering; we stand with those Haitians who value peace while courageously calling for accountability. The United States deplores the current gridlock in Haiti which directly contributes to violence, a spike in humanitarian needs, and interruption of daily life for the Haitian people,” the statement added.But Michel said reiterated that the opposition parties were now very determined to get Moise to resign and that from Sunday “the country will be transformed into a real battlefield.“All roads will be blocked…it will be a decisive week,” Michel said.Meanwhile, four opposition legislators, Evalière Beauplan, Antonio Cheramy, Ricard Pierre and Nenel Cassy, have called on their supporters to participate in the planned action from Sunday.The four legislators had been linked to the disturbances that had occurred in the Senate earlier this month when opposition supporters stormed the legislative chamber ad part of the efforts to get Moise to step down.
Share 193 Views no discussions LocalNews Situation report on fire at Fond Cole Landfill by: Dominica Vibes News – March 14, 2015 Sharing is caring! Share The Fire and Ambulance Services Limited has issued a Situation Report on the fire at the Dominica Solid Waste Management Corporation’s (DSWMC) Landfill on Fond Cole on Friday 13 March 2015.According to the report, at 12:50 pm, the Dominica Solid Waste Management Corporation informed the Fire and Ambulance Services Division of a fire at the Fond Cole Landfill.The Division responded with all available assets from the Fire Brigade Headquarters. A National Emergency Planning Organization (NEPO) Sub-committee meeting was convened and chaired Minister for Justice Immigration and National Security Rayburn Blackmoore to assess the situation and to determine the course of action to ensure the safety of the public and residents in the immediate environs.The various response agencies were alerted and responded. Investigation to determine the cause of the fire is ongoing.Fire officers will continue to monitor and manage the situation.The Ministry of Health earlier issued an advisory directed particularly at people with respiratory conditions stating the following:1. Avoid the inhalation of the smoke fumes coming from the landfill by staying away from the area. 2. Any asthmatics affected by the smoke inhalation should use their prescribed inhalers and if the symptoms worsen they should report to the Accident and Emergency Department at the Princess, Margaret Hospital for an assessment and further medical attention3. Persons suffering from other Respiratory Illness with worsening symptoms as a result of the smoke fumes should also report immediately to the Accident and Emergency Department at the Princess, Margaret Hospital.Residents in the immediate vicinity are asked to remain in tuned for any further information. Members of the public with no business should stay away from the landfill.– / 26 Tweet Share
Share Share BusinessEducationLocalNewsSecondary Keeyan Thomas wins L.A Enterprise ‘L.A Star’ essay competition by: – August 24, 2017 Tweet 166 Views no discussions Share Sharing is caring! Keeyan Thomas receiving his cash prizePress ReleaseL.A Enterprise Retail & Wholesale Merchandise is a Supermarket operating in Glanvillia, Portsmouth serving the entire north of Dominica offering Groceries, Hardware, Ice, Lottery Services and more. We opened our doors on in November 2016 and will celebrate our first Anniversary this year.This summer, L.A Enterprise hosted an Essay Competition “L.A Star” geared at awarding three students who were successful in the National Assessment Examination and intended to attend one of the three schools; St. John’s Academy, Portsmouth Secondary School or The Seventh Day Adventist Secondary School. The awardees would receive cash prizes. At L.A Enterprise we encourage children to work hard towards a bright future by creating avenues such as “L.A Star” that can aid them to cover school expenses.J-lan Victor receiving his cash prizeThe criteria to participate in this competition required participants to submit a 150 – 250 words essay to L.A Enterprise, highlighting their family and former school, as well as their future aspirations; reaching us no later than August 15th 2017.Here are the winners of the L.A Star Competition:WINNER: KEEYAN THOMAS OF PICARD, PORTSMOUTH – $700.00 CASH1ST RUNNER UP: ULANI HILTON OF CALIBISHI – $400.00 CASH2ND RUNNER UP: J-LAN VICTOR OF THIBAUD VILLAGE- $200.00 CASH
1404 Views no discussions Share Share Batibou BeachPhoto credit: Flightnetwork.comBatibou Beach, Photo credit: Flightnetwork.comDominica’s Batibou Beach has been voted as #34 of the top 50 beaches in Central America and the Caribbean.This is according to Flightnetwork.com, who conducted a survey to select and rank 400 of the World’s top Beaches, with the help of 1000 of the industry’s leading travel professionals.Batibou Beach scored 9/10 for sheer untouched beauty; 8/10 for remoteness; and 8/10 for sand and water quality. The beach was noted as having 197 annual days of sunshine and an average annual temperature of 25°C.Flightnetwork.com described the beach as, “[a] small 300m long private beach [that] is your entry to nature’s bliss. [You can] marvel at the majestic backdrop of gently rolling green hills [and] dig your toes into the fine golden sand as you stare into the clear blue waters. This little paradise is cleaned daily so you can just sit back and take in its untouched beauty. Drink from a freshly cut coconut or grab a rum punch from the beach bar. Make sure to bring your snorkel to explore the vibrant underwater display.”Batibou BeachPhoto credit: Flightnetwork.comBatibou Beach, located in Calibishie, Dominica, is notable for being one of the filming locations for a number of the ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ film series.Flightnetwork.com is one of the world’s largest travel publications. Sharing is caring! LocalNewsTravel Dominica’s Batibou Beach ranks in Top 50 Caribbean Beaches by: – December 22, 2018 Tweet Share
Both squads went for the go-ahead conversion after that but tight defense emanated with the Hanoi had its last chance courtesy of forward Hoang Vu Samson but his try was foiled by Ceres-Negros keeper Roland Muller.On the part of the Busmen, Mike Ott should have won the game for the home team in the final minutes but he failed to hit the target.Ceres-Negros hopes to pull off a win and advance to the next round when it faces Ha Noi away at the Hang Day Stadium in Hanoi, Vietnam on June 25./PN Ceres-Negros FC’s Stephan Schrock controls the ball as a Hanoi FC player gives a chase. AFC CUP CERES-Negros FC failed to take advantage of its home court as it settled to 1-1 draw with Vietnam’s Hanoi FC in the first leg of the 2019 AFC Cup ASEAN Zonal semifinals on Tuesday night at the Panaad Park and Stadium in Bacolod City.The Negros Occidental-based football club is in a must-score situation heading into the second leg of the zonal semifinals next week after conceding a precious away goal to the Vietnamese.After a goal-less opening half, Ceres-Negros gained the advantage at the 57th minute with midfielder Stephan Schrock setting up striker Bienvenido Marañon for a well-placed header.Ceres-Negros’ upperhand, however, did not last long as the visiting squad was able to respond with an equalizer with Omar Faye finding cracks on the defense for a close-range shot.
The following article appeard in the Pensacola News Journal on Thursday, Aug. 31.The University of West Florida volleyball season starts in a grand way this week, hosting the Hampton Inn-Vitational beginning Thursday at UWF Field House and featuring some of the nation’s best teams. And no matter what happens the rest of the way the school will end the season in the same way, too. Whether or not the team is taking part in the next go-round is up to them. That’s because just a little more than three months from now, UWF will host the NCAA Division II national championship tournament at the UWF Field House from Dec. 7-9. “Working here gives you a chance to showcase these kind of events,” said UWF volleyball coach Melissa Wolter, who begins her 15th season with the Argos. “I think when you have a tradition that you can sell, great players want to play in great programs and they want to face great competition.”The Argos finished 26-10 last season, claimed the regular-season Gulf South Conference crown, then advanced to the NCAA regional tournament for the 11th consecutive season.Thursday, they face Wheeling (West Virginia) Jesuit, which is ranked No. 11 in the preseason American Volleyball Coaches Association Division II preseason poll.The Argos will then play games Friday against University of South Carolina-Aiken and Southern Indiana, then wrap up the tournament on Saturday against Southwest Minnesota State. “If you are in Pensacola this weekend and not in our gym, you are going to miss out,” Wolter said. “There is going to be some great volleyball in this gym.”Not just the games we are involved in. There are incredible teams walking in the gym. This will be a lot of fun.”READ THE FULL STORY AT PNJ.COM HERE Print Friendly Version
PENSACOLA, Fla. – The 4th annual “Shoot For The Stars” Basketball Camp will held at the University of West Florida from June 4-7 and July 30-Aug. 2, 2018. The application for the camp is available by clicking HERE.UWF men’s basketball head coach Jeff Burkhamer will direct the activities. Coach Burkhamer has 30+ years of camp experience and looks forward to sharing his basketball knowledge with local players.”I love summer basketball camp and certainly look forward to teaching basketball fundamentals to the youth of Pensacola,” said Burkhamer. “I truly believe that ‘players’ are made in the summer. We want our camps to be a learning situation, but we also want our campers to have fun. I look forward to meeting you and working with you at the “Shoot For The Stars” Basketball Camp – where our goals are higher than ten feet!”The camp is open to boys and girls between the ages of 6-15. Camp will be broken down into age and ability groups for instruction and competition. The UWF coaching staff and players, along with area high school and junior high coaches, will make up the camp staff.Camp begins each morning at 8:30 a.m. and ends each day at 4:30 p.m. Price is $175.00 for the week. Lunch and drinks will be provided each day. A special price is available for those families with more than one child attending camp and for those who attend both the June and August sessions of camp.Camp highlights include a camp jersey, individual instruction, team competition, contests, and daily league games. A free camp basketball will be given to each player who registers before June 1.Enrollment is limited and advanced registration is recommended. Youngsters may register at the door between 7:45 AM and 8:30 AM on the first day of camp providing the camp limit is not filled. For more information please call (850) 474-3319 or (850) 375-1780.#ARGOS#Print Friendly Version
Sweatt dominated over 16 shutout innings against Florida Southern and West Alabama last week, striking out 14 and allowing a .154 opponent batting average. The Jacksonville, Florida, native threw two complete game shutouts, including a 9-inning two-hitter against FSC with 9 strikeouts. She also shut out West Alabama in series opener on Friday, striking out 5 and walking 0. #ARGOS#Print Friendly Version West Florida will face Delta State in the first round of the Gulf South Conference Tournament at 5:30 pm on Thursday, hosted at the UWF Softball Complex in Pensacola. BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – For the third time this season, University of West Florida sophomore Kelsey Sweatt has been named the Gulf South Conference Pitcher of the Week. Sweatt’s third weekly conference honor ties her for the most among pitchers in the GSC this year. Sweatt ranks 11th in Division II in hits allowed per seven innings (4.29) and leads the GSC with a .174 opponent batting average. She also ranks second in the league in ERA (1.62) and wins (16) while ranking seventh in strikeouts (113).